Sunday, October 9, 2011

Summary of a Critical Response

Percy Bysshe Shelley
                The article “Shelley” residing in my copy of Frankenstein was written in 1817, and published November 10th, 1832.  Its author, Percy Bysshe, begins the article trying to understand the psychology behind Mary Shelley’s thought process.  Bysshe expresses deep interest in the origin of the blatantly weird motivation Shelley found to write “Frankenstein”.    The article continues down a path of emotion analysis of how the reader of Frankenstein will react personally.  Bysshe describes the monster as shockingly compassionate and peaceful, but human like in the sense it could flip like a switch and be sheer evil.  The continual theme of one incident after another, never catching a break is discussed in the article to support why the author Bysshe thinks you will feel a certain way. 




Photo Credit:
http://www.coolashelltheatre.com/podcasts/a-halloween-treat-the-creature-podcast-adapted-from-mary-shelleys-frankenstein-by-trevor-allen/



Response

                I found Bysshe’s article to be an analysis of Frankenstein, one I agree with.  I feel my deep desire to know what was going through Chunk Palahniuk’s head when he wrote “Fight Club” to be right up the ally of Bysshe’s desire to analysis Shelley’s motivation to write “Frankenstein”.  I find the theme of never catching a break in Frankenstein most true, I feel like I can’t turn the page without another conflict arising.  Even though the suspense is at times hard to cope with, it adds to the motivation that keeps you ripping through the pages.  I also agree with the ideology behind the monster.  I think it is first perceived as an animal that knows no wrong, but as the story progresses becomes more human when it displays human traits of revenge.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I just wanted to let you know that you can't really get to your profile the way you have it linked on the blog roll. If there's a way you can fix this, it would be great!

    Just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete