Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post #6- Reflections on Revision

Writing has been a daunting task all through grade school, and more so at the college level.  I think its safe to say for every new teacher requesting some form of writing throughout my academic career thus far has taught a different form of pre-writing.  These processes such as: outlines, four squares, webs, ect usually amount to sheer frustration.  Often times, once introduced to my topic, I spend a great deal of my time figuring out what my thesis is.  Once I have my thesis I like to jump into writing.  I may not know what transition words or topic sentences I will use for each paragraph, but I do have an understanding of what I am trying to accomplish.  Last semester in English 101, we had mandatory pre-writing to turn in for a grade.  I felt it was quite a barrier for my writing process and ended up finishing my essay first and BSing my way though an outline after the fact. 


When it comes to my current draft, I'm by no means happy with the grade I achieved.  Although, it is a rough draft, which I consider to be my form of per-writing.  I have a rough structure to my essay, most of everything that needs to be there is, and because I'm now equipped with feedback, I can take my rough draft / per-writing and forge it into the higher grade I desire.  Specifically, I'm going to make it more clear who my message is intended for as the reader.  The essay makes perfect sense in my head, because when I read it I'm most likely implying I already know what I'm talking about or the idea I put on paper is associated with what I have in my head. It's hard to isolate what I have in my head from what is on paper.  I need to work on reading exactly what I have on paper and what sense it makes despite what I was trying to transpire from my head to paper.  There are a few minor grammar and spelling mistakes I will be sure to address.  Finally I will possibly try to reconstruct some of my ideas so they are more clear.

Photo Source: http://science-cochrane.wikispaces.com/New+Revision+Forums

No comments:

Post a Comment